I honestly don't understand people sometimes. We try to walk to and from school whenever possible. Granted, it takes us 20 minutes with everyone, sometimes longer when Jacob rides his trike. We try to use the crosswalk (we only have to cross one street) and I don't think we're asking too much for cars to STOP for us in the crosswalk!!! Yesterday, we were on our way home from school (we are quite the parade with the stroller, trike and bike). We start into the crosswalk and I see a car starting around the corner down the street, going fast enough that I wasn't sure he was even going to stop. But he slowed down a little. We were basically across the street, in the area that a parked car would have been (just barely) and this guy floors it to go past us!! James was closest to the sidewalk, Julia and I were next and Jacob was still hanging out in the street on his trike!! I was a little upset by this, particularly because it was my teenage neighbor!!!!!
Now, I know that we can all get a little worked up when we think we've had a close call with our children, but there were several other people in the intersection at the time, one of whom commented on how close that was. Well, we started the trek home from there (I was still fuming a little when we got home). We were in our driveway, when I heard a loud truck at the corner (my neighbor again coming home). He sees that we are still outside, backs up and goes the other direction. Five minutes later he came home and I stopped by to chat with his mother.
Don't pedestrians always have the right of way? Why are teenagers allowed to drive???
No comments:
Post a Comment